Mom worked and had a house full of picky eaters, so most of what she cooked was low fuss and no frills. You can add fennel seed or red pepper flakes to the sauce if you like.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 (28 ounce) jartraditional style spaghetti sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 9 dry lasagna noodles (I cook a few extra just in case a noodle or two self destructs)
- 2 (6 ounce) packagesdeli-style mozzarella cheese, sliced (you'll need 12 slices total)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) packageshredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, brown ground beef in a large skillet; drain fat.
- Sprinkle meat with onion powder.
- Add spaghetti sauce, tomato sauce and Italian seasoning.
- Mix well. Set aside.
- Drain noodles.
- Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Add a layer of sauce to pan.
- Top sauce with 3 lasagna noodles.
- Top noodles with more sauce.
- Top sauce with enough mozzarella cheese slices to cover in a single layer (6 slices).
- Top cheese with 3 more noodles, sauce, 6 more cheese slices.
- Top cheese with remaining 3 noodles and sauce.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Top Parmesan with the shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 35 to 45 minutes (watch closely after 30 minutes to make sure cheese does not over brown).
- Let sit 10-15 minutes before serving.