Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I have had others, but this is the best. Add some garlic toast and you have a wonderful light meal--good for those cold nights!
- 1 1⁄2 mild Italian sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 small onions or 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 42 ounces beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine or 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini (2 med yellow squash also)
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked bow tie pasta
- Cook sausage until lightly browned; drain off fat. Add garlic and onions and cook until onions are limp.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth and wine or water, basil, parsley and green pepper; simmer about 2 hours on low heat.
- Add zucchini (squash) and noodles about 20 minutes before serving.
- Add a sprinkle or two of Parmesan cheese on top of each bowl of soup. Serve with the garlic toast--yum, let's eat!
awesome! Used browned roll sausage, was out of garlic. Used two cans of my homemade canned tomatoes, not wine. Fresh basil. Ate half and the rest is in the freezer.
Fabulous Recipe. I did followed this to the letter (used water not wine) and it was the best. Would love more of your mom's recipes!