Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This waws also on the forum. My Mom's fried chicken is very basic. she always fried hers in a cast iron skillet and fried it in a cast iron skillet. The amount of salt is approx.
- 1 (3 lb) roasting chickens, cut up
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour, unsifted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Wash chicken pieces.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a paper bag.
- Add a few pieces of chicken at a time shaking to coat with flour.
- In a large cast iron skillet over moderate heat melt enough lard or vegetable shortening to measure about 1 inch deep.
- When cooking liquid has reached frying temperature you can see a little steam rising up.
- Cook chicken 30 minutes on each side.
- Lay cooked chicken on a paper towel lined platter and cover the top with paper towel also.
- this helps top keep the chicken from sweating and to stay crisp.
Very easy fried chicken with a lovely golden crust and moist meat. I used butter-flavored vegetable shortening and, like your mom, fried it in my cast iron skillet. Brings back childhood memories :)