Recipe by SwtSouthernCook82
My Mom has made this recipe for as long as I can remember. Everyone who has tried it has said it's the best banana bread they have ever tried, and they asked for the recipe. I hope everyone who makes it enjoys it as much as my family has.
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter flavored Crisco shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda, level
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 large over ripe bananas, mashed well
- 1⁄2 cup pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts or 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar and shortening, add bananas and mix well. Best when just mixed by hand with a spoon, not a mixer.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add flour mixture to the shortening mixture.
- Mix well to combine, adding the optional nuts or chocolate chips if desired. Then place in a lightly greased loaf pan. Glass seems to work the best. Have used other ones, and it didn't turn out as well.
- Place on rack in center of oven and bake for 1 hr and 15 mins.