Our family favorite chili that I keep coming back to again and again, over the years-- it's so simple, quick and easy to make, and totally yummy and satisfying! Especially good this time of year. From my mom. Wonderful sprinkled with grated cheddar cheese and chopped onions, with freshly baked warm cornbread on the side. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 dash oregano
- 1 dash cumin
- couple dashes cayenne
- 2 (16 ounce) cans diced stewed tomatoes, undrained (I like Hunt's diced tomatoes with peppers and onions added)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup green bell pepper, roughly diced
- grated cheddar cheese, to serve
- chopped onion, to serve
- 1In a large saucepan, brown the ground beef and onion, stirring to break up any clumps.
- 2Season with chili powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, cumin, and cayenne, and stir in the remaining ingredients.
- 3Bring quickly just to a boil, then immediately reduce heat to low and gently simmer with the pan partially covered, stirring occasionally (add a little water if it seems too thick), for about 45 minutes.
- 4Taste and adjust seasonings.
- 5Serve hot topped with grated cheddar cheese and chopped onions, with sides of warm cornbread. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Mom's Family Favorite Chili
Serving Size: 1 (345 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 322.8
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 49.1 mg
- Sodium 1268.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.3 g
- Sugars 11.4 g
- Protein 25.2 g