Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I know there are a lot of potato soup recipes on here, but this is the best I have ever had. The onion flavor adds a little something extra, and it is so easy and delicious. Everyone loves this soup...even my incredibly picky roommate. It cooks for a while; if you have a crock pot, which I don't, you can let is simmer for a while and forget about it. Also, this can be doubled easily. I hope you all enjoy.
- Peel and chop up potatoes, then steam them (They can be boiled if you don't have a steamer).
- While waiting on the potatoes, sauté the onions in the butter.
- When the onions are ready, add the cream of chicken, milk, and French onion dip to the mix, stirring until the mixture is smooth and well mixed.
- When the potatoes are steamed, add them to your mixture from step three. Let it simmer for 30 minutes, or until it reaches your preferred tenderness.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with cheese and bacon bits as desired.
On 1/31/13 I made this for mine and my SO's dinner, and since there was only the two of us the recipe was cut in half. Except for cutting the recipe in half and using frozen cubed hash browns,the recipe was made as written.No bacon bits were on hand, so regular bacon was fried crisp, crumbled and used instead. After the soup was prepared, it was topped with a bit of sharp cheddar cheese and the crumbled bacon. Both my SO and I thought that the tang of the dip, gave the soup a nice flavor. Even though we enjoyed the taste, we felt " something " was missing. So we added some pepper, and discovered that was the " something " missing. :). Thanks for posting a very enjoyable soup. " Keep Smiling :) "
This was outstanding!! I've never made potato soup before and it was so easy. I love the flavor that the French onion dip gives to it. I made it all on the stove top and the best part is...I have enough left over for lunch tomorrow!! Thanks so much for posting! Made for My 3 Chefs '08.