Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
:) This brings back nice memories of when my Mom made these. With a glass of milk it makes me HAPPY. Great snack that's actually good for you too.
- Combine ingredients for filling.
- Simmer until thick, being careful that mixture doesn't burn.
- Cool date mixture.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 9 inch square pan.
- Combine soda, flour, brown sugar and oats in a bowl.
- Work in butter.
- Pat half of the crumbly mixture into pan, pressing down well.
- Spread date filling over layer of oat mixture, then pat the rest of the crust mixture on top.
- Bake 45 minutes.
- Cool, then cut into squares.
These are really very good - I made one batch and we ate it over two days and they were great. I've made a second batch in two halves - one replacing the dates with figs and one with cranberries and they look good. The only negative is that they have so much sugar in that they aren't really 'healthy', so I might swap the sugar for honey in the filling next time, and the dough is quite sweet so I might use less sugar there. We love this recipe though and have them for an on the go breakfast.
These are just like my mother used to make back in the 60's. They are fantastic. I loved eating this bar, and now that she is gone, I make this often. You do not want the date mixture to get too thick or the bars will be dry.