1/2 Photos of My Mom's Cut out Cookies
1 hr 40 mins
My mom makes these every Christmas and sometimes for other holidays. They're soft and moist! Cook and prep time are approximate and don't account for chill time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1Allow butter to soften (not melt!) at room temperature. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- 2Add egg, vanilla, cream of tartar and baking soda.
- 3Add flour alternately with milk.
- 4Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour in the refrigerator. (I usually chill it overnight.).
- 5Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 6Roll out with plenty of flour to keep from sticking, but try to avoid incorporating too much flour into the dough since it will make the cookies less moist.
- 7Cut out into circles or with your choice of cookie cutters. Carefully transfer cookies to an ungreased cookie sheet.
- 8Bake on a cookie sheet in the oven until they become a light gold color. Watch them carefully so that they don't get overdone.
- 9Allow to cook completely before icing.
- 10For icing, put a couple of tablespoons of not-quite-boiling water into a large bowl. Add the confectioners' sugar and mix together, adding more water as you need to form a thick paste. Color, as desired.
- 11Spread about 1 tablespoon of icing on each cookie. Decorate with colored sugar and sprinkles as desired.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Mom's Cut out Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (1147 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 147.4
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 23.8 mg
- Sodium 132.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 1.7 g