Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
You will love this as much as I did. I never could get enough and neither can my kids.
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of foil (heavy duty is best).
- Bake shell at 450°F for 8 minutes.
- Then remove the foil; bake for 5 minutes more.
- remove from the oven and set shell to the side.
- Separate one egg; set the white aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the yolk and remaining eggs until combined.
- Then blend in sugar, salt and vanilla extract.
- Stir in the milk.
- Take remaining egg white and beat until stiff peaks form; then carefully fold into egg mixture.
- Slowly and carefully pour into crust.
- Cover the edges of the pie with foil.
- Then bake at 350°F for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil from edges and bake 15-20 minutes more or until you can insert knife in the middle and it comes out clean.
- Cool pie (wire rack is best and quickest).
- Sprinkle on nutmeg and store in the refrigerator.
This pie didn't turn out right for me. I don't know what I did wrong but the first comment made about it was "it tastes like an omlette" I also thought it smelled like scrambled eggs. It just didn't look right either.
I'm really sorry, but we didn't enjoy this one. I followed the recipe exactly, and it just didn't work for us. I don't know what I did wrong with it, especially as all the other reviewers loved it, but I don't plan to make it again. Thanks for the recipe though :)
I love my sister-in-laws egg custard pie, but have never gotten her recipe. I've never tried to make one before, but this one was so easy. I don't know what took me so long! I made this for a cookout on Sunday and everyone liked it that had room in their bellies to try it! This is definitely a keeper. I baked my pie crust for 8 minutes, covered, but didn't bake it the extra 5 minutes, due to my oven. Everything else, I did exactly as written. Thank you for this wonderful recipe! UPDATE: I made this again for a friend and she said to tell you how much they enjoyed it. It reminded her of her moms pie.