Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
The last one from the forum. I think my Mom's cornbread is different because of the way she prepared it.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- Mix cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder together.
- Add milk and beaten egg.
- Heat a 10 inch cast iron skillet with the 1/4 cup butter in a 400* oven until butter sizzles but don't let it brown.
- Pour the hot melted butter on top of cornmeal mixture.
- The cornmeal batter should sizzle.
- After you pour the butter into the batter return skillet to the oven so it doesn't cool done.
- After the butter is incorporated into the batter pour into the hot skillet and the batter should sizzle when it hits the hot skillet.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cornbread is golden brown.
- When prepared this way it makes a crispy crust on the bottom .
A quick and easy recipe, I love the instructions for baking it in the oven in a sizzling pan, it worked perfectly! I did find the bread a little dense, but tasty.