Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is my mom's recipe. We don't usually measure anything, we just KNoW what to do; but a friend of mine requested I put this on my recipe site, so I have done so.
- 1⁄2 head cabbage
- 2 medium carrots
- 1⁄2 small sweet onion
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 cup Miracle Whip (may use fat free or light)
- Grate cabbage, carrots and onion.
- Mix together in large salad bowl.
- Put dressing ingredients together and mix till smooth; pour over cabbage and mix well till all is coated.
- Add Miracle Whip and some sweet pickle juice if more dressing is needed to cover well.
- Refrigerate till very good and cold.
Darlene ,i have made so many of your recipes,this recipe,i have made for years,actually mixing the milk and vinegar makes buttermilk,(a perfect combo for salad) darn good recipe,hope everyone tries it,it is very good.Thanks,dear for posting.
I'm not rating this, because I was trying to use up my evaporated milk, leftover cabbage and onion, and didn't have the Miracle Whip. Having said that, it's very good and it hasn't had a chance to sit and exchange flavors yet. When I get Miracle Whip, i'll try to make it according to directions, and then rate it. Very good!!
It's very different from the cole slaw i've had (never used evaporated milk before), but it's pleasant. I actually grated some parmesan @ the end to incorporate; it's a family tradition.