Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I've pretty much never had anyone not like these cookies. Ever. If you like coconut, you can add about 2/3 cup of shredded coconut at the same time as the oatmeal and chocolate chips. Oh, and make sure you're using quick oats, not regular or instant, because they don't turn out as well.
- 1 cup butter (I usually use margarine) or 1 cup margarine (I usually use margarine)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 -2 egg
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups quick oats
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 -2 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix the butter/margarine and brown sugar together.
- Add baking soda and 1 egg, and beat until combined.
- Mix in the oats and chocolate chips (and coconut, if using).
- Add the flour gradually, until the dough sticks together pretty solidly. You probably won't need to use all the flour. If you do add too much, and it seems dry, add a second egg.
- Use a spoon to scoop balls of dough onto ungreased baking sheets, spaced so there are 12-15 cookies per average-sized sheet.
- Bake about 10 minutes, a few minutes longer if you like your cookies well-done, turning once.
- Let them cool a little, then transfer to wire racks to finish cooling. Or just eat them hot.