Recipe by Kathleen's Kitchen
My mom has probably made these cookies over a thousand times!! They're simple and delicious. Temp and baking time may vary, but just watch each batch and adjust as needed. ENJOY! Even the dough is good!
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening (can substitute butter or margarine, depending on taste preference)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (or half a capful)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (a few shakes)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips (give or take)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 - remember to adjust if your oven temp varies (I use 325).
- Cream together sugars and shortening;.
- blend in egg, vanilla and salt.
- Add half of flour - mix baking soda in with remaining flour, gently stir in with chocolate chips.
- Do not overmix, just enough to mix in flour.
- Roll into balls, small enough to fit 12-15 on a greased baking sheet (personally, I use my pampered chef bar pan - no greasing needed!).
- Squish down slightly, with fingers or fork.
- Baking time also varies - set timer for 10-12 minutes, watch carefully. You will probably need another few minutes, trust your excellent baking judgement! If you like crisp cookies, let them brown - chewy, take them out while they're still puffy in the centre! Let sit on the pan until set, lift off to cool on counter or rack.
- Cooled cookies or dough can be frozen in sealed freezer bags - just let thaw at room temperature.