Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is the chili my mom always made for us growing up, and it has become one of my husband's very favorite things to make. We usually use fresh garlic in place of the garlic powder, 4 or 5 cloves chopped up. We usually garnish with shredded CheddarJack cheese and serve with garlic bread.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 can red kidney beans
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder
- Brown ground beef and onion together; drain fat and return to pan.
- Add remaining ingredients to pan and mix well.
- Simmer over low heat for 3 to 4 hours or until chili is thick.
- Stir occasionally to prevent bottom from burning.
very good i could never get chili right but i did with this one i did add a package of chili mix but other than that followed every thing else thanks
This chile had a nice flavor. I had to watch it very closely to keep it from burning or scorching but other than that it is a good recipe. My chili mix was very thick from the beginning. I had to add a little water from time to time to keep it from getting to thick. I will make this again. Thanks AlabamaGirl71.
Sorry, I forgot to rate it. It is definately 5 stars. I would give it more if I could.