Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the best cheesecake I've ever had. I know everybody says that about their mom's baking, but this time its absolutely true! :)
- 4 eggs, separated (extra large or jumbo)
- 295.73 ml sugar
- 59.16 ml self-rising flour (heaped spoons)
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 236.59 ml light sour cream
- 680.38 g fat free cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 packet vanilla instant pudding mix
- orange zest
- 226.79 g heavy cream (optional)
- 226.79 g milk (optional)
- 1 packet instant vanilla pudding (optional)
- berries or other seasonal fruit (optional)
- Preheat oven 325 degrees, butter a 9inch springform pan.
- whip egg whites with 3/4 cup sugar ntil very stiff.
- Put aside combine yolks, remaining sugar (1/2 cup), flour, vanilla, sour cream, cream cheese, and 1/2 of the instant pudding powder, and mix until smooth.
- I use the mixer for this.
- gently fold whipped whites into cheese mixture and add the orange peel.
- pour into prepared pan, and bake until top is almost golden but not quite, and the cake is quite firm.
- In my oven it takes about 40-50min.
- Remove from oven and let rest.
- Cool completely.
- I normally cool overnight before topping, best to keep in the fridge.
- to prepare topping-- whip milk+cream+remaining pudding powder until stiff.
- Pour over the cake and keep in the fridge.
- Before serving you could top with berries or other fruits sprinkled with powder sugar.
- It is best to serve this cake at room temperature and I normally take it out of the fridge at least an hour before serving.
This is a delicious very dense cheesecake; very N.Y. style. I make a graham cracker crust to go with it and served it cold as I prefer it that way. If you like blueberry or any other pie filling this is sometimes poured over the top of a cheesecake like this. I however didn't use any topping at all and it was just perfect. Made for MY 3 Chefs '08.