Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I once told my mom that I love this carrot cake from a restaurant where I live. She said that she could try to make a carrot cake for me sometime when I came home to visit. And boy, did she ever whip up a good one.
- 1 1⁄2 cups oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
Filling and topping
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped pecans or 1 cup walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, cream oil and sugar together.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add carrots and stir.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt together.
- Add flour mixture to the sugar mixture.
- Blend together.
- Oil and flour 3 round cake pans.
- Pour mixture into pans.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes.
- While cakes are baking, prepare the filling.
- Cream butter, cream cheese, and sugar.
- Add vanilla and nuts.
- When cakes have cooled completely after baking, spread the filling on top of each layer.
- Stack the layers and ice the rest of the cake.
- Grated carrots and crushed pecans/walnuts may be added to the top of the cake for appearance.