Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Oval shaped "birds", filled with a surprise! These are wonderful! Children of all ages love these birds, and my mom made them for DH and I several times while they visited us in Nov 2005. I had just completed my chemo treatments, and this is one dish I could eat, with mashed potatoes. Rice is also excellent with this dish! Enjoy, from my mom!
- 2 lbs ground beef (use the BEST ground beef you can find)
- 3 -4 slices bacon, uncooked
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons potato starch
- 3 tablespoons ketchup, any brand
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2-1 cup milk
- Mix all the ingredients (not for the sauce), except for the uncooked bacon. Mix with your hands, and mix and mix, until everything is thoroughly blended.
- Cut the bacon with a pair of scissors, in tiny bits/pieces.
- Shape "birds" with your hands, into sizes that are about 5 or 6 inches long. Make a dent in the middle and insert 2 or 3 of the tiny bacon pieces.
- Fry your birds in oil/margarine on a low to medium heat. Turn the birds and let them brown evenly. You may have to adjust your burners as you want the birds to have a wonderful and even brown color on the outside, as well as be cooked on the inside.
- You will probably have to fry them in batches unless you have a very large frying pan.
- Remove the birds. Add to drippings in pan:.
- the sour cream, the undiluted can of soup, and mix well. Thin out your sauce with the milk, depending on how thick you wnat it. Put your birds back into the sauce and let simmer on very low heat, until heated through.