I grew up on this stuff and it is the absolute best mac and cheese you'll ever taste. It's my mom's recipe and I make it exactly the way she does. It's creamy and very cheesy. I've added chunks of smoked sausage or cubes of cheese to it too. I hope you like my mom's mac & cheese as much as I do.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Boil and drain macaroni per package instructions.
- 3Meanwhile, melt butter in medium saucepan. Add flour and salt. Cook just until mixture is lightly golden brown. Stir in dried onion (add more or less to your taste).
- 4Combine evaporated milk, water and milk in a measuring cup. You should have 2 cups of milk mixture. Stir into flour mixture to thicken, slow enough to avoid making lumps.
- 5Heat mixture not quite to boiling.
- 6Add 1 cup cheddar and stir until cheese is melted.
- 7Cook sauce until slightly thickened (similar consistency to gravy).
- 8Stir in cooked macaroni.
- 9Pour into greased 8 or 9-inch baking dish.
- 10Sprinkle with desired amount cheese.
- 11Bake for approximately 30 minutes until it's lightly browned and bubbly.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Mom's Best Mac and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (136 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 448.6
- Calories from Fat 245
- Total Fat 27.3 g
- Saturated Fat 16.9 g
- Cholesterol 82.2 mg
- Sodium 673.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 18.7 g