Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I grew up on this stuff and it is the absolute best mac and cheese you'll ever taste. It's my mom's recipe and I make it exactly the way she does. It's creamy and very cheesy. I've added chunks of smoked sausage or cubes of cheese to it too. I hope you like my mom's mac & cheese as much as I do.
- 1 cup uncooked macaroni
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 5 ounces water
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk or 3⁄4 cup low-fat milk
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Boil and drain macaroni per package instructions.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in medium saucepan. Add flour and salt. Cook just until mixture is lightly golden brown. Stir in dried onion (add more or less to your taste).
- Combine evaporated milk, water and milk in a measuring cup. You should have 2 cups of milk mixture. Stir into flour mixture to thicken, slow enough to avoid making lumps.
- Heat mixture not quite to boiling.
- Add 1 cup cheddar and stir until cheese is melted.
- Cook sauce until slightly thickened (similar consistency to gravy).
- Stir in cooked macaroni.
- Pour into greased 8 or 9-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with desired amount cheese.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes until it's lightly browned and bubbly.