1/1 Photo of My Mom's Beef Stew
2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Chef at Heart's Note:
I've been eating this as long as I've had teeth. Hopefully I always will LOL. The tomato soup makes the difference
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs stewing beef
- 1/2 cup flour (to dust beef with,you probably won't use all of it but what ever is extra just falls off (and flour)
- 6 cups water
- 2 (14 ounce) cans tomato soup
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 carrots, sliced diagonally
- 3 potatoes, cubed
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce or 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1Coat stewing beef in flour, I use a colander so that the excess easily goes through.
- 2Heat a large pot, add oil and then beef and onion.
- 3Cook, stirring occasionally until the outside is browned (you are not cooking it; just giving it a crust).
- 4Add water, Worcestershire sauce, or wine and spices (except salt and pepper).
- 5Add one 14 oz can of tomato soup, depending on your taste you may or may not want to add some or all of the second can. Start with one.
- 6Simmer for approximately 2 hours (it really depends on the size of the pieces of stewing beef and if you want them firm or more towards the shredded stage.
- 7After the beef is close to your desired texture add vegetable, another partial or full can of soup, and pepper. Salt is optional, as the tomato soup contains salt. Cook for 20 min or until vegetables are cooked to your liking.
- 8Stir occasionally through the cooking process so that it does not stick.
- 9* this feeds four in my family but it should feed six (they just like it a lot so eat more than they normally would.
- 10* dumpling are a perfect companion to this recipe.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Mom's Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (680 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 570.7
- Calories from Fat 266
- Total Fat 29.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 75.9 mg
- Sodium 897.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 14.7 g
- Protein 26.6 g