Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This is a special recipe that my mom would make when we'd go to church pot lucks. It's a change to the same ol' jello salad or potato salad everyone else makes.
- 1 (53 ounce) canvan camps pork & beans
- 1⁄2 lb thick slice bacon
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar or 3⁄4 cup dark molasses
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup or 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3 -4 cloves garlic, chopped
- Drain liquid from beans.
- Mix in a large Dutch oven pan: beans, onion, brown sugar, ketchup, dry mustard, salt, pepper, worcestershire and garlic.
- Fry bacon, drain and cool.
- Cut into pieces and add to beans.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour at 325F.
- Uncover and bake again for 1 1/2 hours.
Flavors were good but found it way too salty (those 4 tsps are a hefty amount of salt!). Ended up adding an extra can of pork & beans to try "thin out" the salt. Next time I will reduce to 1 tsp. Also, didn't do that last 1-1/2 hours in the oven. They were pretty mushy after 1 hour.
Yum! So good and easy. Doubled the recipe to take to a party and everyone loved them! Thanks so much for sharing, we will have to have these again soon.