1/1 Photo of My Mom's Almond Cake
1 hr 30 mins
Liza at Food.com's Note:
I'm a chocoholic so it is a big deal when I say that THIS is my favorite cake. It is simple, yummy, makes two small cakes or 1 large and is a little ugly. You do need two eight inch spring form pans or 1 9 inch spring form pan...worth the investment...i make two eight inch cakes. Very moist and keeps for TWO WEEKS in a sealed container just getting better with time. You'll be asked for the recipe. This makes a great gift, housewarming, dessert or great as a snack with coffee.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup unsalted butter, plus more (room temp)
- unsalted butter, for buttering pan
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour, plus more
- all-purpose flour, for prepping pan(s)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 (7 ounce) package almond paste
- 4 egg yolks, at room temp
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- powdered sugar, for sifting over cake
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 2Butter sides and bottom of pan(s) and flour them as well.
- 3Place pan(s) in freezer (i've done this and also skipped it, works either way, i feel).
- 4Sift flour and salt into a small bowl. Set aside.
- 5In a mixer with a paddle, beat butter and sugar at hight til fluffy (5 min).
- 6Add almond paste, one chunk at a time and beat at medium speed for 8 minutes.
- 7Beat in egg yolks, one at a time.
- 8Beat in almond extract.
- 9Mix baking soda and sour cream together and add to butter mixture.
- 10Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture, turn off when just blended.
- 11Divide among the two 8 inch pans or 1 9 inch pan.
- 12Bake about 35-40 minutes and start checking. My oven is really hot so it is usually done, but my mom's oven takes at least an hour to bake.
- 13Cool in pans on wire rack.
- 14Take out of pans, store in covered tins or sealed rubbermaid containers -- get better with time.
- 15When ready to serve, dust with powdered sugar.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Mom's Almond Cake
Serving Size: 1 (88 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 536.3
- Calories from Fat 278
- Total Fat 30.9 g
- Saturated Fat 15.8 g
- Cholesterol 134.4 mg
- Sodium 262.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 37.8 g
- Protein 6.3 g