Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have very fond memories of my mom's banana bread, warm out of the oven. (Or, burning my mouth on it, hot out of the oven because the smell was so hard to resist!) I really like the extra flavor the wheat germ adds. This is nice and moist and has a wonderful banana flavor!
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour (can be partially whole wheat)
- 1⁄4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 -2 egg, beaten
- 1 cup very ripe banana, mashed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease bread pan.
- (8 1/2 X 4 1/2) All ingredients should be at room temperature for best results.
- Sift the flour, then measure.
- Resift flour with baking powder.
- In a seperate bowl, beat shortening, sugar and lemon zest together until creamy.
- Beat in eggs and banana.
- Add the dry ingredients about 1/3 at a time, mixing to combine after each addition.
- Fold in nuts.
- Pour batter into the pan and bake about 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let cool before slicing.
Very enjoyable banana bread! I used half whole wheat and half white flour, and followed the recipe in all other respects. Had to taste it the day it was baked, of course, but find that today, the day after, the flavors have melded and the loaf is moister. (I may have baked it slightly too long - will be more careful next time.) Thank you very much for sharing this recipe with us.
I can also tell you from close personal experience that this is most excellent. (Hi sis!)