Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is great. I eat like so much of it when my momma makes it. I have loved this ever since I can remember!
- 3 cups self rising flour or 4 cups Bisquick
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 12 ounces beer (bottle or can)
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, to spread across top
- Mix all ingredients except butter.
- Spread in greased and floured 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.
- Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 45 to 60 minutes depending upon how brown you want it.
- Take out and rub butter across top to melt.
Beautiful and delicious! Couldn't be simpler, and it rose nicely and baked to a decoratively-rough, golden-brown crust in 45 minutes at 375. I had misgivings about melting that much butter on top, but it mostly soaked in. Since there is no oil or butter in the batter, it comes out nicely balanced. Easy enough to be a routine weekend treat, and great eating!
This is SO tasty. I didn't have self-rising flour, so I found a website with substitutions and ended up using 3 cups AP flour, 4 1/2 tsp baking powder, and 3/4 tsp salt. It smelled amazing while cooking and was so good with all that yummy butter. Oh, and, it was probably the easiest thing I've ever baked. Thanks!
YUM! this bread is wonderful. I did add a pinch of kosher salt to the batter before baking and I used the 3c self rising flour. It turned out great! It took 45 minutes in my oven at 375'. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe! Its delicious :)