Prep 24 hrs
Cook 35 mins
I'm fairly sure this recipe has been passed down from a few generations. My MIL makes these every year and we love them. One time, my husband asked her for the recipe and she told us she "didn't have it written down, it was all in her head". The recipe was sitting on her kitchen counter one day when we visited from out-of-state and I snatched it and copied it before she noticed.
- 2 quarts cucumbers, about 6 large, cut into chunks
- 2 quarts cauliflower, about 3 heads, cut into chunks
- 2 quarts white pearl onions (about 40 oz)
- 1 cup non-iodized salt
- 2 cups water, divided
- 2 quarts apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup dry mustard
- 6 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flour (may need to add more)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon turmeric
- 1⁄8 cup celery seeds or 1⁄2 tablespoon celery seed
- Mix the vegetables in a large pan (plastic is best). Pour 1 cup water over. Mix in the non-iodized salt. Cover and set aside overnight. Scald vegetables in brine and drain.
- Heat vinegar to boiling. Blend dry ingredients except celery seed with the water. Add to vinegar. Cook till smooth and thick. Add celery seed. Add vegetables to sauce, and bring to a gentle boil for 20 minutes. Fill clean pint jars and seal. Process in canner for 15 minutes.