Recipe by Angie1976
This cake came from my grandmother's best friend. She has made it for our family Christmas and birthday dinners for years.
Top Review by mari79
I did not make the cake only the icing and i LOVED it. I used this icing with recipe #81687 (strawberry cake). They go really well together. This icing recipe is perfect but it makes ALOT, had enough to frost (3) 13x9 cakes. So I froze what i did not use (freezes well). Next time I will make only 1/2 the recipe. As an extra special treat top your favorite pound cake with fruit of your choice and put a dollop of this icing on top YUMMY!! Thank you for sharing Angie =)
- 1 box Duncan Hines butter cake mix
- 3⁄4 cup Crisco cooking oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 4 eggs (I use 5 or 6 eggs unless they are real large)
- 1 (16 ounce) container Cool Whip
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Strawberry Cake directions: Mix all together, beat 4 minutes.
- Makes 4 layers.
- She bakes her layers at 365- 370 degrees for 30- 35 minutes.
- (Ovens vary!) Icing directions: Beat cream cheese, sugar, butter until creamy and smooth.
- Add Cool Whip and flavoring.
- Beat until mixed well and smooth.
- Spread over cake layers and top and sides of cake.
- Puree' strawberries in blender with lots of sugar (to taste).
- Spread strawberries over icing on layers and on top of cake.
- As my grandmother says,"My Mercy!