Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
My best friend made me pay attention to how I do this and write it down. I'm sharing it with you now. We like it with any cheesy hashbrown casserole (there are tons of 'em on this site).
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb pork sausage
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped fine
- 1 package saltine, crushed
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 dash onion powder
- 1 dash fresh ground pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 -5 slices bacon, cut in half
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Spray metal baking pan and meat rack (or crumpled foil) with non stick spray.
- In large bowl combine meat, onion, crackers, soup mix, onion powder, dash of pepper, eggs, and half of the tomato sauce (reserve other half in can).
- Knead with hands to mix well.
- Shape into loaf and lay in pan on top of rack.
- Lay bacon slices over the top.
- Bake 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile in tomato sauce can, add brown sugar, mustard, and vinegar to remaining sauce.
- Stir well.
- Remove meatloaf from oven pour tomato sauce mixture over top.
- Return to oven for additional 45 minutes.
- Remove& Enjoy!
This was my first time EVER making meatloaf. It turned out great. The mixture of ground beef and pork sausage really made the recipe! Made for PAC FAll 2008. thanks for sharing.
Excellent. Just enough left over for lunch next day.Just as good or better! I used Italian bread crumbs instead of saltines and threw a teaspoon of poultry seasoning. Served with garlic mashed potatoes. Will make again.
We really liked this recipe. I had been making the same meatloaf for years and decided to try something new just for variety. This was a hit. I made several minor changes. I used the meatloaf combo at my grocery store which is ground beef, veal and pork. I substituted a cup of oatmeal for the saltines and left out the chopped onions. I had dark mustard and cider vinegar instead of what was called for in the recipe. I did use the bacon but will leave it off next time. I served this with Parmesan Potato Casserole #120445 and green beans and had a great meal