Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is homemade goodness at its finest.
- 2 (26 ounce) cans red pear tomatoes
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 dozen sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 pork bone (optional)
- 1 cayenne pepper, dried and broken up (a pinch of cayenne powder to taste if you don't have this on hand)
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 cup sugar
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 large yellow pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- Heat olive oil in large heavy pot sauté bell pepper, onion, garlic and mushrooms. Add meats and brown. Add tomato paste, tomatoes with juice. With a large spoon, capture the tomatoes against the side of the pan and crush.
- Add herbs, spice parsley, wine and pork bone, (optional).
- Simmer on low 2-4 hours. Best if done the day before and heated through to serve. OR, slow cooker on low for 8 hours.
- Serve over hot cooked spaghetti.