Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is truly amazing chili! The shredded beef makes all the difference. Great for a Sunday afternoon project in the fall.
- 1 lb dried red beans (Soak overnight)
- 3 meaty beef short ribs
- 3 slices bacon (cut up)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 -3 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (26 ounce) canseasoned red pear tomatoes
- fresh ground black pepper
- cayenne pepper
- Soak beans overnight and rinse twice.
- Put short ribs in a large stock pot of water. Simmer until the meat falls off the bone. Strain fat from the top of the broth(reserve 4 cups broth)and set meat aside.
- Brown and sauté bacon. Add 1 tbs olive oil to bacon grease and sauté peppers, Anaheim chilies and onion.
- Add meat to the mixture and brown. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, tomatoes, ground black pepper and cayenne to taste.
- Return all to stock pot add 4 cups beef broth and red beans. Simmer until tender.