Prep 30 mins
Cook 9 hrs
She usually makes a much larger batch for holidays with the family. This was originally her mother Ruth's recipe. But she changed it to use the broth instead of just water. My preferred brand of kraut is Snow Floss. This is the only way I can eat sauerkraut. I am so picky. I'm also happy to say my two-year-old loves sauerkraut.
- 1 (28 ounce) can sauerkraut
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed (or to taste)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 -3 tablespoons flour
- Drain and rinse sauerkraut, to taste. It depends on how tart you like it. I usually just like a bit of tartness. Make sure you taste it.
- Place in slow cooker.
- Pour broth over just to cover. You may or may not not use the whole can! Just pour it slow. Most times I end up using the whole can.
- Add a few shakes of caraway seed and the tablespoon of brown sugar. Give it a stir.
- Cook on low for about 8 hours.
- After it's been cooking for a nice long while, saute the chopped onion over medium heat in the crisco until the onion is lightly brown.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onions and cook for about 2 minute. (Note from my Mama: Don't add all of the flour at once, you want it to be kind of pasty but you still want to see it bubbling. And let the flour get brown, not just the onions. Watch carefully.).
- Add the onion mixture to the sauerkraut and cook it for about 1 more hour.
This is a fabulous easy sauerkraut recipe which is simple to make and delicious.