1/1 Photo of My Mama's Slow Cooker Sauerkraut (Small Batch)
9 hrs 30 mins
She usually makes a much larger batch for holidays with the family. This was originally her mother Ruth's recipe. But she changed it to use the broth instead of just water. My preferred brand of kraut is Snow Floss. This is the only way I can eat sauerkraut. I am so picky. I'm also happy to say my two-year-old loves sauerkraut.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Drain and rinse sauerkraut, to taste. It depends on how tart you like it. I usually just like a bit of tartness. Make sure you taste it.
- 2Place in slow cooker.
- 3Pour broth over just to cover. You may or may not not use the whole can! Just pour it slow. Most times I end up using the whole can.
- 4Add a few shakes of caraway seed and the tablespoon of brown sugar. Give it a stir.
- 5Cook on low for about 8 hours.
- 6After it's been cooking for a nice long while, saute the chopped onion over medium heat in the crisco until the onion is lightly brown.
- 7Sprinkle the flour over the onions and cook for about 2 minute. (Note from my Mama: Don't add all of the flour at once, you want it to be kind of pasty but you still want to see it bubbling. And let the flour get brown, not just the onions. Watch carefully.).
- 8Add the onion mixture to the sauerkraut and cook it for about 1 more hour.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Mama's Slow Cooker Sauerkraut (Small Batch)
Serving Size: 1 (246 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 105.2
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1144.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 3.2 g