This is probably the first thing that I ever learned to cook. My mother used to cook it while I took a nap as a child, and the smell would wake me up. It's really garlicky and the wine gives it a nice flavour. It also freezes really well. Enjoy!
- 2 cooking onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 (5 1/2 ounce) cans tomato paste (I use the one with Italian seasonings added)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1⁄4 cup white wine or 1⁄4 cup vermouth (optional)
- Sauté onions in oil.
- Add beef and brown before stirring in all seasonings.
- Add tomatoes, paste, and cloves.
- Stir and add alcohol if using.
- Cover and let cook on a low fire for 2 hours or more.
We all loved your mama's recipe. It's very similar to one I make (mine has a couple of bacon slices and white wine), so I used the vermouth to make it different. I think the long cooking is the secret to this sauce don't you? Thanks for an excellent recipe.
Thank you for sharing this recipe. It is the only meat sauce I'm allowed to make in our house now, my husband loves it as does my son. Any other meat sauce is bland in comparison. I have also made double batches of it so I can freeze the second batch. It freezes well and is still gobbled down by the family.
Easy and delicious spaghetti sauce--wouldn't expect anything less from Mama. If possible, I suggest making this the day before you want to serve it to let the flavors settle in. Very garlicy, which is beautiful, and the wine adds a nice touch, too. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Enjoyed by my entire family.