1/4 Photos of My Mamas Fried Chicken With Milk Gravy
While I have several types of fried chicken recipes in my arsenal, this one of my mom's brings back great memories of coming home from football practice in the fall, and the whole house smelled so good! I make this recipe every once in a while in my Great Grandma's cast iron skillet. (If only it could talk, it's over 100 years old!) I like to serve it with homemade roasted garlic and sour cream mashed potatos.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon seasoning salt (I use lawrys)
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked Hungarian paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 8 chicken thighs or 8 chicken legs
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 -4 teaspoons oil (I use 4 generally)
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granule
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1Combine 1 cup flour, thyme, onion powder, paprika, salt and 1/2 t. pepper in a large plastic zip-lock bag. Add chicken to bag, one or 2 pieces at a time; shake to coat well. Dip chicken into buttermilk, return to bag and shake to coat.
- 2Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and saute 15 minutes, turning to cook evenly until golden.
- 3Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, uncovered, 35 to 40 minutes or until chicken is tender and juices run clear when chicken is pierced with a fork.
- 4Remove chicken and place on a plate lined with a paper towel. Reserve the drippings, cover chicken to keep warm.
- 5Stir bouillon, remaining flour and remaining pepper into skillet drippings, scraping up any browned bits (that's the good stuff). Add milk.
- 6Cook and stir with a whisk over medium heat until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir one to two more minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot gravy over chicken and potatos. Serves 4.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Mamas Fried Chicken With Milk Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (364 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 640.0
- Calories from Fat 316
- Total Fat 35.1 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Cholesterol 172.4 mg
- Sodium 351.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 41.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: