Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
So, I was adopted and raised by a Sicilian lady and this is her treasured eggplant parmigiana recipe. I hope you all enjoy it as much as my family does! P.S. Eggplant looks sturdier than it really is; refrigerate for no more than 2 days.
Top Review by torie t.
I had been wanting to try a method that did not use bread crumbs . This tastes much lighter, not so heavy as with bread crumbs. It was good just by itself with no sauce too. Really glad I tried it. Thanks for sharing.
- 1 small eggplant (about 12 ounces)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil (I use olive oil, my mom uses canola oil)
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup meatless spaghetti sauce
- 3⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (about 3 ounces)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Wash and peel eggplant; cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices.
- Combine egg and water; dip eggplant slices into egg mixture, then into flour, turning to coat both sides.
- In a large skillet cook eggplant, half at a time, in hot oil for 4 to 6 minutes or until golden, turning once. (If necessary, add additional oil.) Drain on paper towels.
- Place the eggplant slices in a single layer in an ungreased 2-quart rectangular baking dish. (If necessary, cut slices to fit.) Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Top with spaghetti sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 400°F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until heated through.