Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
So, I was adopted and raised by a Sicilian lady and this is her treasured eggplant parmigiana recipe. I hope you all enjoy it as much as my family does! P.S. Eggplant looks sturdier than it really is; refrigerate for no more than 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Wash and peel eggplant; cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices.
- Combine egg and water; dip eggplant slices into egg mixture, then into flour, turning to coat both sides.
- In a large skillet cook eggplant, half at a time, in hot oil for 4 to 6 minutes or until golden, turning once. (If necessary, add additional oil.) Drain on paper towels.
- Place the eggplant slices in a single layer in an ungreased 2-quart rectangular baking dish. (If necessary, cut slices to fit.) Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Top with spaghetti sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 400°F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until heated through.
I had been wanting to try a method that did not use bread crumbs . This tastes much lighter, not so heavy as with bread crumbs. It was good just by itself with no sauce too. Really glad I tried it. Thanks for sharing.