1/4 Photos of My Mama Iuliucci's "Don't Skip a Step" Spaghetti Sauce
3 hrs 15 mins
My mom made this every Sunday for as long as I can remember. I recall coming home from wherever I was and smelling this incredible sauce! I would immediately reach for the Italian bread to start dipping before dinner. My mom always said it wasn't done yet, but I didn't care! My brother would go through a half a loaf of white bread with this sauce before dinner...it was that good. Try to make it exactly as it is written out...you will be pleasantly surprised and your house will smell heavenly! The little bit of extra work is worth it!!!
My Private Note
Large p ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1/2 cup romano cheese
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Italian sausage or home-made meatballs
- 1 -2 spareribs (optional)
- leftover cooked chicken thighs or chicken leg (optional)
- pepperoni (optional)
- 1Combine tomato products in large stock pot or dutch oven.
- 2Add a 28 ounce can of water and stir.
- 3Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- 4Sprinkle with sugar, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, parsley and grated cheese and stir to combine.
- 5In a frying pan, heat about 1/4" of vegetable oil and fry up your sausage or meatballs until cooked through.
- 6Add the meat to the simmering sauce, along with any optional meats (recommended) mentioned in ingredients.
- 7Now, this is an important, not to be left out, step: Add chopped onions and garlic to pan that meat was fried in.
- 8Do not drain anything before adding onions and garlic-- there should be some drippings/oil left in the pan!
- 9Fry onions and garlic until tender and aromatic.
- 10Remove pan from heat.
- 11Another important step, not to be left out: Add about 1/2 cup water to the pan and swish around, combining the leftover drippings and onion and garlic.
- 12Pour and scrape it all into the simmering sauce.
- 13Stir to combine.
- 14Let simmer for 3 hours or until desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
- 15I keep mine only half way covered, so it cooks down and gets thick and rich.
- 16Remove pepperoni, chicken and ribs if used.
- 17Remove meat from bones of chicken and ribs and add back to sauce in small shreds.
- 18Discard pepperoni, eat it, or chop it up and add it back to sauce.
- 19Serve over your favorite pasta and enjoy.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Mama Iuliucci's "Don't Skip a Step" Spaghetti Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (3050 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1105.9
- Calories from Fat 182
- Total Fat 20.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 44.0 mg
- Sodium 5923.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 206.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 45.8 g
- Sugars 123.8 g
- Protein 57.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: