Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Having just recently started the Atkin's Diet I needed a catsup with very LOW carbs. The tomato sauce I used has 4 carbs per 1/4 cup serving...so just make sure you use one with the same or less on the label.
- 2 (8 ounce) cans reduced-sodium tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 pinch ground allspice
- 1 pinch salt
- Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan.
- Mix thoroughly and bring to a simmer.
- Allow to simmer on low until the catsup is desired consistency.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if desired.
- This should keep in the refrigerator for at least a week.
I am picky about my ketchup and this has a very delicious taste. Being on Atkins I can assure you that this is low in carbs. There is no way it can be high. For the amount you use it is minimal. It is really good with cheeseburgers and steak. My dh even liked it and that is a stretch because he is a Heinz man like me. Give it a try I am sure you will love it. Wonderful job gingerkitten!!!
Thank you so much for posting this,you are saving me big bucks. The stuff they sell in the stores is so expensive. I have made this recipe twice. The first time it was too peppery for me, but think that is just my taste. The only other adjustment I made was to make it without the Splenda, then let it cool and add the Splenda when it was cooled (to me Splenda cooked into things has an odd aftertaste).
This was quick n easy. Had no ketchup n found this recipe. Used apple cider vinegar n regular sugar. Very tasty. great substitute. Thanx for the post.