1 hr 30 mins
French Tart's Note:
A wonderful old English Medieval recipe for rose petal jam or rather rose petal conserve, as this is a soft set jam. Serve this elegant and fragrant jam with scones, pancakes or use it to sandwich sponge cakes together........smells heavenly and tastes magical. Make sure that the rose petals you use are not exposed to traffic pollution or have been sprayed with fertiliser. The title is taken from my namesake, the Scottish poet Robert Burns and his poem: O, my luve's like a red, red rose, That's newly sprung in June, O, my luve's like the melodie, That's sweetly play'd in tune. Rose petal jam is also found in the Middle East and Turkey, along with high quality rose water; I sometimes add a few drops of rosewater for an extra floral kick! I have stated red rose petals as they give the best colour - but any highly scented roses would be fine to use in this recipe.
My Private Note
1/2 lb ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Fill a large pan with the boiling water. Add half the rose petals, cover and leave to stand for two hours.
- 2After two hours strain off the liquid and transfer to a clean pan. Discard the steeped rose petals.
- 3Add the sugar to the rosewater and stir over a low heat until dissolved. Add the lime juice and remaining rose petals, reserving a handful for later.
- 4Bring to boiling point, reduce the heat and simmer until setting point is reached. To test for this, pour a little onto a cold saucer. Push it gently with your finger. If it wrinkles, it is ready. If not continue to simmer for a little longer.
- 5Add remaining rose petals and simmer gently for another three minutes then pour into a sterilised jar and seal. The rose petals should rise to the top leaving clear jelly underneath.
- 6Pot and cover the jam.
- 7Chef's tip.
- 8You’ll need to sterilise the jars or your jam will go mouldy. Wash them thoroughly in warm, clean, soapy water, drain upside down on kitchen towel and place on a baking tray in a preheated oven at 140C/fan120C/gas 1 for 15 minutes. Turn the oven to its lowest setting and keep the jars inside while you make the jam.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Love is Like a Red, Red Rose: Rose Petal Jam - Conserve
Serving Size: 1 (1112 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 899.7
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 5.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 234.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 228.5 g
- Protein 0.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: