1/2 Photos of My Little Fish Soup
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 20 mins
Inspired by fish soup often served in Southern France.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 small whole fish (see note, whole gutted and head removed, each herring has a weight of about 2.5 to 3 ounces)
- 4 tiger shrimp
- 6 ounces salmon fillets
- 6 ounces tilapia fillets
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tomatoes (about 1/2 pound in total)
- 1 (3 ounce) onions
- 1 (3 ounce) carrots
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) leeks
- 1 (1 ounce) celeriac
- 1 ounce fresh ginger
- 3/4 cup fish stock
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon mild curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 lime, juice of
- 4 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron
- salt and pepper
- 1Cut the vegetables for the soup into pieces (tomatoes, onion, carrot, leek, celeriac, ginger).
- 2Clean the herrings, remove dorsal fin and cut them into larger pieces. If you like you can leave the tail fin.
- 3Heat olive oil in pot and sear herring on both sides for about 1 minute. If you didn't remove the tail fins, remove these four pieces and set aside.
- 4Add the anchovy fillets and sear for another minute.
- 5Add all the vegetables, curry powder and cayenne pepper powder and cook for about 3 minutes. Stir well.
- 6Add fish broth and water and cook , reduce heat to low and cook for about 1 hour and stir from time to time.
- 7While the soup is cooking cut the fish filets into bite-sized pieces. Clean the tiger prawns. Set aside.
- 8For Aioli cut the garlic into pieces and add it together with olive oil and egg yolks into your food processor. Mix until smooth and creamy. Salt to taste. Put Aioli into a small bowl and set aside.
- 9Cut french bread into slices and toast until golden brown. Set aside.
- 10After 1 hour cooking take soup from heat and puree soup until smooth. You can do this in your food processor. The soup should be very smooth and creamy. You can sieve the soup to remove all remaining pieces and fish bones.
- 11Put soup on oven over low heat again and add sherry, lime juice, sugar, and saffron. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 12Add salmon and tilapia pieces, tiger prawns, and the tail pieces of the herrings. Let simmer for about 10 minutes or until fish is done and flakes easily.
- 13Divide the soup into bowls and serve with Aioli and toasted french bread on the side.
- 14NOTE on "small whole fish": I use herrings.
- 15NOTE on fish tails: I don't remove the tail fin and use these pieces for decoration. If you don't like them, remove them. In this case you can leave all herring pieces in the soup.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Little Fish Soup
Serving Size: 1 (772 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 803.5
- Calories from Fat 396
- Total Fat 44.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 287.1 mg
- Sodium 483.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 11.9 g
- Protein 45.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: