Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 4 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 30 ounces canned black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa (I use Hershey's)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- Heat vegetable broth in large pan on medium-high until it starts bubbling. Add the spices and leave for 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped onion and leave for 7 minutes.
- Turn heat down to low and add the beans. Stir gently until everything is heated through.
- Sprinkle cocoa on top and leave for five minutes, then stir it inches.
I liked the idea of these more than the final product. I followed the recipe exactly but found they were too bitter (from the cocoa) without any balance. After I added a sprinkle of sugar and a splash of vinegar I found them much more palatable. They were certainly very easy though. Thanks for the recipe!