Recipe by Nana Amy
This is the most popular dish I make. It's really meaty and cheesy and needs no extra sauce. It's really very easy to make. The easiest and fastest way to make this is to start the water for the pasta and cook that while you're cooking the meat and sauce and mixing the ricotta cheese mixture. I always make this the day or 2 before when I have time. This also freezes well uncooked or cooked. It makes a very full 9X13 casserole. You can use the lower fat cheeses. I hope you enjoy it!
- 2 lbs Italian sausage
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 14 ounces chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 10 -12 lasagna noodles, cooked. I prefer the ribbed ones
- 30 -32 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese or 1⁄2 cup romano cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain in a colander and run cold water over them to easily separate them.
- Squeeze sausage from casings and brown on medium heat until all pink is gone.
- Add the next 5 ingredients. Simmer, uncovered 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine the next 5 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Spray Pam or lightly grease a 9X13 casserole.
- Lay 3 noodles on the bottom of the casserole and line the sides with the noodles too.
- Spread 1/2 the ricotta mixture on top of the noodles, then half of the slices of mozzarella, then half of the meat mixture.
- Put more noodles on the meat mixture. Then the rest of the ricotta, the mozzarella, and the meat sauce.
- Sprinkle more Parmesan or Romano on top.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven until brown and bubbly, for about 30-40 minutes. If refrigerated first, add approximately 15 more minutes.
- I like to serve this with garlic bread and a Caesar or green salad.