Recipe by wjorma
Oh the fun they had at the beach , running,swimming & eating pepper steaks on a hoagie bun while walking along the beach...these memory sandwiches are easy to fix anytime.
- 24 ounces beef steaks, 1 inch thick
- 3 red bell peppers
- 2 large yellow onions
- 1⁄2 hot pepper (depending upon heat desired)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 lb mushroom
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 tablespoons red wine
- 1 bouillon cubes (optional) or 1 teaspoon beef base (optional)
- salt (optional) or soy sauce (optional)
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes, to taste, if desired
- 6 hoagie rolls
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice uncooked steak into thin slices across the grain.
- Prepare vegetables: Core and slice peppers, peel onions and thinly slice, peel garlic. Clean mushrooms and slice.
- In a skillet, melt butter in oil. Add onions and saute over medium high heat until edges take on light brown color. Add whole garlic cloves and sliced peppers. When garlic cloves have a slightly roasted appearance, mash the garlic into the oil using the tines of a fork. Remove sauteed vegetables to a dish using a slotted spoon when tender, and lightly browned on edges but not soft.
- Turn heat to high and brown steak; add mushrooms after several minutes. Remove steak to vegetable dish when tender. Add wine, flour, and bouillon, scraping pan to add flavor and color to gravy. Reduce heat to very low and simmer gravy ten minutes. Add a few tablespoons of water or broth if gravy is too thick; add more flour if gravy is too thin after several minutes. Add vegetables and steak to gravy and heat through. Season to taste with salt (or soy sauce), pepper and hot pepper, to taste.