Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is in the latest issue of the Good Food magazine. I gave it to my girls with their dinner today and they just couldn't get enough! They both asked for more. I didn't have chestnuts but it works just as well without. It's actually a great recipe for Christmas.
- 16 slices smoked streaky bacon, cut into large chunks
- 250 g vacuum pack peeled chestnuts
- 3 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1 kg brussels mixed sprouts, thickly sliced
- 100 ml hot chicken stock
- 1 finely grated lemon, zest of
- 1 -2 teaspoon soy sauce (recipe says a splash)
- Gently fry the bacon in a large frying pan for 10 minutes until the fat has come out and the bacon is nice and crispy.
- Throw in the chestnuts and fry until they are all coated in bacon fat; Add the garlic and cook for a minute until golden and add the sprouts; Turn up the heat and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Pour over the stock and cook for 10 minutes or until the sprouts are cooked to your liking; Add the lemon zest and soy sauce, cook for 1 more minute and serve.
- NOTE: It took me a lot less time to cook because I fried the bacon on a higher heat and the sprouts took much less than 10 minutes maybe because I hadn't sliced them thickly enough.