Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Despite the fact that my two young children go through picky phases, they have decided that they both LOVE this pasta. DS especially can't get enough of the stuff & I am very happy as it's a healthy, filling meal suitable for all the family. I use the wholewheat tiny pasta shells (sold as conchigliette) but you can use any small pasta really. We like to serve this with a green salad & crusty bread! This is also a nice dish to pulse in the blender for older babies.
- 1 1⁄2 cups ground chicken
- 2 cups wholewheat conchigliette pasta, uncooked
- 500 ml water
- 400 g canned tomatoes, liquidized with own juice
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated (sharp)
- 1 large brown onion, finely diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 medium courgette, grated
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon schwartz Season-All salt
- 1 teaspoon scwartz italian seasoning
- 2 -3 teaspoons olive oil
- Gently fry the onion & the chicken in a medium sized pan over a medium heat. After 10 minutes, add the rest of the chopped / grated veggies & the seasoning, fry for a further 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, add the liquidized tomato , miced garlic & the water. Cover & simmer gently for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, remove the lid, turn up the heat & reduce the sauce until it is nice & thick.
- Whilst the sauce is cooking, cook the pasta in plenty of lightly salted boiling water until soft.
- When you have a thick sauce, remove from the heat & stir in the cheese & the basil. Mix well then stir in the pasta. Cover & allow to sit for 5-10 minutes, this way the pasta is the right temperature for the family to eat & the pasta will have taken on the flavours of the sauce.
- Serve the kids first, then adjust the seasoning for adults if required.