Prep 15 mins
Cook 24 hrs
I've had many people, over the years, accuse me of trying to pass off KFC's Coleslaw as my own home-made. So I'm finally letting my family and friends (and the world) know my recipe. I think you will enjoy this very much if you follow the directions as written. Do Not use more sugar than specified. Give yourself one day ahead for prep. (Cook time is the overnight refrigeration time). Enjoy!
- 1⁄2 cup 2% low-fat milk (divided)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice (from the bottle)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar (best) or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup Miracle Whip (Do Not use mayo)
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed (preferred) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon minced dried onion flakes
- 8 cups coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage & carrot, more or less depending on the diced size)
- Mix 1/4 cup of the divided milk with the vinegar and lemon juice in a glass (I use my glass measuring cup, less dishes). "Stir well" and let sit, "undisturbed", for 5 minutes (this is to create buttermilk).
- Meanwhile, in a large glass or plastic bowl, thoroughly mix (whisk) together the remaining 1/4 cup milk with the Miracle Whip, sugar, salt, pepper, celery seed and dried onion. Now your butter milk should be ready, so mix that in well, also.
- Now for the veggies. You can either put the bag of coleslaw mix into a food processor to dice it up very tiny (like KFC), or leave it shredded the way it is packaged. Your choice.
- Gently stir the slaw mix into the dressing until completely coated. It will look very dry, and you will probably not like it if you eat it right away (over night is the key to this). Cover the glass or plastic bowl tightly with plastic wrap and leave it sit for a full 24 hours. (Really). Stir at least once overnight.
- Next day, remove from the fridge, stir to moisten and serve. Enjoy!
So good rosie316! You are right about letting it sit overnight, as the flavors meld into the cabbage. We enjoyed this with burgers and next time your coleslaw will be adjoining fried chicken! And for the next cookout this will be on the menu, as I want to show off. Thank you rosie316 for a great addition to my recipe files. Made it for PRMR.
Made this and enjoyed it. I used mayo instead of Miracle Whip. Thanks!