2 hrs 30 mins
Nana Lee's Note:
This is my family's version of Kapusta. Amounts vary according to your taste. This is one of those soups you should make the day or night before and improves greatly with each reheating. You actually may need more butter; 1/2 lb is a conservative estimate. The number of servings depends on your appetite!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Shred cabbage, set aside.
- 2Brown ribs in small amount of olive oil in large fry pan; remove from pan.
- 3Sauté cabbage using drippings in pan and butter. I usually do this in batches, adding all cabbage and juices from each batch into the pot.
- 4Add butter to pan and make next batch.
- 5Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Add sauerkraut and mix in well.
- 7Bury ribs in cabbage mix, fill with cold water just to cover all.
- 8Bring pot to boil, cover and lower heat to simmer.
- 9Simmer for about 2 hours.
- 10Check after 1-1/2 hours to see if cabbage is soft; meat should be falling off the bones.
- 11When done, carefully remove meat making sure to get all the bones.
- 12There aren't many or any bones in the country style ribs, that's why I use them instead of regular ribs.
- 13Separate meat from bones and fat and return meat to pot. Mix.
- 14I use an 8 quart enameled cast iron pot. Try to use a heavy metal pot or one that has a heavy bottom.
- 15Some people serve this in a bowl with boiled or mashed potatoes and/or some sour cream; and a nice hunk of Polish sisal bread, if you can find any!
- 16You could also add caraway or dill seeds when cooking it.
- 17NOTE:.If you can make this the night before you will serve it, and refrigerate it, it is better. The taste improves with age!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Kapusta (Polish Cabbage Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (236 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 275.5
- Calories from Fat 200
- Total Fat 22.3 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 69.6 mg
- Sodium 479.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 11.8 g