Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I made this yesterday afternoon for my brother to go to his new job with, however he left before it came out of the agar, so I took it to work the next day and left it in the kitchen with a little note saying enjoy, and word got around and it was gobbled up all most instantly. Everyone loved it and has begged me to make another for work tomorrow. It will stay moist for several days, if it lasts that long. It is also nice as a hot dessert
- 250 g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 ripe bananas, around 450g
- 125 g butter, softened
- 150 g caster sugar
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 50 g walnuts, chopped
- Heat oven to 180°C.
- Lightly butter a 25cm x 10cm loaf tin.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and slat into a bowl, set aside.
- Mash the bananas to a puree, set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl, with a hand-held electric beater, until smooth and pale.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well until just combined.
- Fold in the mashed bananas, vanilla and walnuts, using a spatula.
- Then lightly fold in the flour.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin.
- Bake for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted to the middle comes out dry, covering the top with foil if it starts to brown to quickly.
- Allow to cool in tin 20 minutes before turning out.
- Cut into thick slices.
I disagree with pressure cooker's review about this. I feel the comment about caster sugar and grams is a bit unfair, plenty of us have to convert measurements as we are "metricated" and yes the first time i came across "confectioners sugar" and a "cup" (american or australian size?) I was confused but got on with it and made the recipe. My mum makes her banana bread this way as do I and my gramma too. Please don't give this recipe a miss because of one bad review - it rocks the church fetes!
didnt work,maybe it was because it was foreign,never heard americans say " caster sugar", and everything in "grams" guess i messed up,had it translated and went by recipe,didnt work,was too strong in flavor and sugar level wasnt right.sorry,