Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Have you been thinking, lately, that you really need more green olives in your diet? Of course you have! This is just one of my husband's food brainstorms. He comes up with wonderful ideas for *me* to make. Isn't he sweet? I've started to notice a pattern: most of them involve green olives, or garlic, or both!
- 4 large pimento stuffed olives, sliced
- 2 slices honey wheat oatmeal bread (see my recipes)
- 2 slices American cheese (or your favorite)
- olive oil
- Heat a small non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Add olive oil and olives, and saute just until lightly browned.
- Remove olives, temporarily, to your serving plate.
- Add a bit more olive oil to pan, if needed.
- Place one slice bread in pan, cover with olives, then with cheese slices, and lastly the other slice of bread.
- Cook over medium heat until the bread is browned and crispy, pressing down with spatula.
- Turn and brown on other side, until crispy brown and the cheese is all melty and just starting to ooze out onto the pan.
The kids and I had this for lunch today. My one DD and I both love green olives but the 3 other kids do not care for them at all...so I expected to hear some grumbling and complaining. To my surprise everyone enjoyed these sandwiches. My DS said he loved the zipppieness the olives gave his sandwich. Since we love cheese but do not consider American cheese in that category, I used slices of Havarti and Munster on our grilled cheese. Thanks for posting.
I love olives in everything...so this recipe got me excited.....It was fantastic !!! I had used Italian bread so I required a few extra slices of cheese just to cover the surface.. So what I did because I love cheese...is I layered 2 slices of American on one side then the olive mixture then 2 slices of provolone and 2 more slices of American ....YUMMY !! I thought by having the cheese as the first layer that the olives would kind of melt into the cheese which it did....Oh...I also had added a few capers as well with the olives. Great fast recipe to make....went perfect with a nice bowl of soup. MMMM....will be making again....Thanks for sharing ThatBobbieGirl.....
This was so good! I just adore green olives, so when I saw this recipe, it had to be made. :)