Recipe by 2Bleu
This recipe makes two wonderfully delicious pies which is great for OAMC. If you want less crumble topping, just double the pie ingredients, and you can make 4 lucious pies. You can freeze them just before baking to enjoy another time, (Just be sure to increase the cook time to 50-55 min for a frozen pie). The crumbled topping stores well in the freezer so you could even make one pie at a time if that is your choosing. We adapted this from Chef #422893's wonderful Apple, Apricot & Honey Crumble making it lighter (reducing down the calories, fat, and carbs) and revised it into a pie form. We have made this using Sunmaid dried fruit bits in place of the apricots (which requires no re-hydration). Enjoy. :)
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Well, I didn't get 2 pies from this, but it wasn't because I couldn't have done so ~ I used a 10 inch deep dish pie dish & mounded it with filling, probably using 3/4 of it in the pie! The rest of the filling I put in a smaller casserole & covered it with some of the topping & baked it, then used it for a topping for ice cream! The pie itself was OUTSTANDING & the recipe a definite keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe]
Apple Apricot Filling
- 6 ounces dried apricots, quartered (scissors make this easy)
- 8 apples, cored peeled and sliced thick (we use granny smith apples)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box French vanilla cake mix (Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe)
- 2⁄3 cup Quaker Oats
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds, crushed
Other ingredients needed
- 2 (9 inch) deep dish pie shells (un-baked)
- 1⁄3 cup honey
Directions See How It's Made
- FILLING: Place apricots in a heat resistant bowl and pour enough boiling water over them to cover. Allow to soak for 5 mins or until soft. Drain. Combine all filling ingredients in a large bowl.
- CRUMBLE TOPPING: In a separate bowl, place dry cake mix, oats, and almonds. Pour melted butter over top and stir, tossing to separate and crumble.
- ASSEMBLY: Preheat oven to 425°F Spoon filling into pie crust. Drizzle with honey. Spoon crumble mixture over fruit filling and bake for approximately 25-30 minutes.