1/2 Photos of My Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
1 hr 40 mins
You can replace the sausage (by any other type of sausage) or the ground beef (by ground lamb - for instance) or do it only with one of the two. The zucchini can be replaced by any other vegetable, the cherry tomatoes can be replaced by any other type of tomato as well (I just happened to have them on hand when I invented this concoction). I can assure you it IS delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb Polish kielbasa (about 1/4-inch thick slices)
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can V8 vegetable juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (large tablespoon)
- 12 -15 small cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 -3 fresh zucchini (preferably slender ones cut in 1/4 in thick slices)
- 1 teaspoon pesto sauce (large teaspoon)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- fresh pepper
- white wine
- olive oil
- 1in large frying pan sauté with olive oil - thinly sliced onion & thinly sliced garlic until lightly blanched.
- 2add sausage & ground beef.
- 3sauté until sausage & beef are braised.
- 4add some wine.
- 5transfer to a large pan.
- 6add halved cherry tomatoes & sliced zucchini.
- 7sauté until tomatoes begin to wrinkle.
- 8add V8 & allow to reach a simmer.
- 9add pesto, oregano & thyme.
- 10reduce to level of a thin sauce.
- 11add corn starch & thicken.
- 12add more wine.
- 13last – add parsley & chives.
- 14season with salt & fresh pepper.
- 15reduce to sauce thickness (if it needs liquid add more white wine).
- 16Allow to cool & refrigerate overnight for flavors to be infused in the sauce.
- 17Serve over “al dente” pasta and top with grated romano cheese.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (749 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 615.1
- Calories from Fat 340
- Total Fat 37.8 g
- Saturated Fat 13.9 g
- Cholesterol 156.5 mg
- Sodium 1679.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 11.1 g
- Protein 40.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: