Prep 3 mins
Cook 15 mins
Ok guys I come up with this recipe out of necessity, due to the fact that I was living in Europe and if you could actually find refried beans, they where so over priced it was totally ridiculous... So I started experimenting and came up with a refried bean recipe that the whole family loves, and the kids love to help out on this one.....
- 2 cups black beans, cooked & drained (or 1 - 15 1/2 oz can, drained)
- 2 cups pinto beans, cooked undrained (or 1 - 15 1/2 oz can, undrained)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon pinto bean seasoning (www.fiestaspices.com)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon season salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced roma tomato (optional)
- 1⁄8 cup salsa (optional)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onions (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (optional)
- Mix black beans, pinto beans, vegetable oil, minced garlic & if you so choose the optional ingredients add the roma tomato & onion in at this point. Cook on med-hi heat for 5 minutes, don't forget to keep stirring.
- At this point take a potato masher and mash beans until you get the consistency in which you desire.
- Add in remaining ingredients once you have your beans mashed. Cook on med-lo for 10 minutes, don't forget to stir.
- If you refried beans get to thick just add in a little bit of water.
- If you choose to add the optional cheese, sprinkle it on top at this time and turn off the heat.
Very good! Taste was really good. I didn't have pinto bean seasoning (have never heard of it actually), I substituted 2tbsp bacon fat & 1tbsp coconut oil for the vegetable oil. Added the tomato and some vidalia onion.