Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Good comfort food, but my version is loaded with veggies! The heat depends on your choice of salsa. Makes one 11x17-inch casserole or two 8x8-inch casseroles. Defrost in the fridge overnight the day before cooking. (Or bake right away...you don't have to freeze it, of course.) Note: I made this once by mixing in a packet of cheese powder from a box of Annie's Natural Man n Cheese (nothing on top, obviously), which worked out well.
- 8 ounces whole wheat macaroni noodles, cooked a few minutes less than directed on package (will finish cooking in the oven)
- 1 lb 93% lean ground beef
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 celery ribs, minced
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 8 ounces salsa (use the tomato sauce can as a measuring cup)
- 2 cups 2% cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons basil
- black pepper
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook the veggies together with the ground beef.
- When cooked, stir in 1 cup of the cheese, the seasonings, and the cooked noodles.
- Pour into casserole dish(es) and top with the remaining 1 cup of the cheese.
- Cover tightly with foil and freeze until ready to eat.
Easy to make, and lots of veggies. But it didn't taste like chili. More like taco spice. If I make this again, I'll sub the spices listed with my own chili seasoning mix.