Recipe by redplaid huf
A basic tomato sauce. I serve this sauce as is or add veggies and meat or use in lasagne, chicken parm, etc. The original [Spicy Tomato Sauce from the Harrowsmith Cookbook]. The original called for 2 onions chopped but since I can't eat them I have never used them.
- 4 -6 tablespoons olive oil
- 13 ounces tomato paste
- 4 teaspoons dried basil (4 T fresh, chopped)
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano (3 T fresh, chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup dried parsley (1/2 c fresh, chopped)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (796 ml) cans diced tomatoes (6 c)
- salt and pepper
- 8 -12 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil, added paste and gently saute until carmalized.
- Add basil, oregano, parsley and garlic. Heat until fragrant.
- Place tomatoes, salt, pepper, bay leaf and sun-dried tomatoes in crock pot. Add herb mix and crock on low 4-8 hours.
- Or add the rest of the ingredients to the herb mix, bring to boil and simmer for 1 hour.